Nearly 40 percent of UK companies are more secure than they were this time last year, however the threat and consequences of security breaches are still a priority for IT pros.
Half of IT professionals are having a hard time keeping up with enterprise patching.
When it comes to fixing vulnerabilities, this week will be hard to beat with just four vendors issuing a total of 273 patches. The big question is does that mean we are getting more, or less, secure?
When a high percentage of users have unpatched systems and unpatched programs, as found in a recent Secunia report, can you protect them from themselves?
This week's In Case You Missed It (ICYMI): Aviation risk warning; netgear patch delay; vulnerability disclosure -legal threats; android SMS malware variants; SSL weakness exploited for phishing.
As the patching cycle becomes ever longer, some experts are pushing for mandatory security updating of critical IoT devices.
OS X 10.10 has a vulnerability that allows hackers to install malware without system passwords
In its latest 'Patch Tuesday' notice, Microsoft issued 14 security bulletins including fixes for the Freak flaw and the Stuxnet worm - which was thought to have been patched five years ago.
Monolithic operating systems will attract attackers, and speed to market will trump security, so expect patches and be intelligent about how vulnerabilities are fixed says Raimund Genes.
The McAfee Labs Threats Report: February 2015 demonstrates how failure to patch is leaving mobile apps exposed to SSL vulnerabilities.
CISOs are increasingly taking on greater management responsibilities - but are they as a result being divorced from their firm's true security maturity and the tools needed to avoid being breached?
Microsoft said the change to its patching was made because customers no longer use the previewing system the same way they did in the past.
Questions need to be asked of Patch Tuesday and Microsoft's approach to it, says Robert Brown.
Microsoft has very unusually released an `out-of-band' security patch to fix a vulnerability in Windows - and Windows Server - that hackers are reportedly exploiting to compromise IT networks.
Two-and-a-half months on from the discovery of the Heartbleed bug affecting OpenSSL security, and one security researcher claims that the flaw still affects 300,000 servers.
The cycle of updating software at the end of life has, itself, reached its end of life with managed services the way ahead says Kevin Linsell
Mark O'Neill suggests that his top ten potential vulnerabilities of the Internet of Things (IoT), need to be considered now, before mass deployment.
With Windows XP fast approaching its end-of-support deadline, many firms are going to be at risk of attack, reports Kate O'Flaherty.
Microsoft's latest Patch Tuesday security fixes for its products included two last-minute updates that show the company rushing to respond to the escalating pace of cyber attacks.
Microsoft's Patch Tuesday update has been released, giving users a highly anticipated fix for a TIFF zero-day flaw and 23 other bugs affecting company software.
A recent Java update was only downloaded by seven per cent of users.
Oracle has said that making Java more secure is a priority, as it lines up regular patch updates.
GFI Software has added a patch management capability to its GFI Cloud offering.
Systems management vendor LANDesk Software has acquired VMware's Protect product family of IT management solutions.
SC Webcasts UK
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
Junior Penetration Tester, Hertfordshire, to £35k + benefits
Infosec People - England, Hertfordshire
Cyber Security Architect
CYBER EXECS - London (Greater)
SOC Analyst, Aldershot, £47-56k + package
Infosec People - Hampshire, England, Aldershot
Senior Security Engineer
Loveworklife Recruitment - United Kingdom
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Tesco Bank allegedly ignored warnings of hack from Visa
- Investigatory Powers and Digital Economy Bills could threaten economy
- Updated: A million German routers knocked offline by failed Mirai botnet attack
- Microsoft update left Azure Linux virtual machines open to hacking
- Gooligan ad fraud malware infects 1.3M Android users, installs over 2M unwanted apps
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- Updated: How will Brexit affect the cyber-security industry in UK and Europe?
- ICYMI: CEO Sacked; MS Zero-day; Passwords dropped; Ransomware wild, charging hack
- 9.2 million medical records for sale on darkweb
- ICYMI: Tesco warned; IP Bill threatens economy; German routers offline; Azure trojan; Gooligan fraud
- Data centres are on the move - where will they end up?
- 90% of ITDMs believe IAM is crucial to digital transformation success
- Research: Hacked companies could see customer exodus if breached
- Misconfigured drive exposes locations of explosives used by oil industry