August 03, 2004
Vector Networks Inc.Product:
from $290 for ten nodes
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
Very little at the price.
A good value auditing package.
PC-Duo Enterprise is a well presented application that effectively steers users through all major functions via well-considered dialogs. This "learn-as-you-go" approach will suit the busy network administrator with limited previous experience.
However, this is not a lightweight product. The functionality on offer is comprehensive and should suit many organizations.
The familiar concept of running agents on client machines is echoed here, within an architecture which supports an intermediary area for collecting data which is used, in turn, by both clients, the main console and the scheduler. A site database further acts as a repository and can be based on Microsoft Access, Microsoft SQL Server or Oracle databases.
In PC-Duo speak, "operations" may be run against clients, either all clients, or those manually selected for the task. These include the expected hardware and software scans, the setting up of software metering tasks in order to monitor software usage, and also software distribution to automatically distribute or update software to clients and other utilities.
Such operations can be enhanced by the creation of package policies to specify which software is allowed where and monitor accordingly. Clients can be grouped together logically as either fixed or dynamic groups, the latter subject to SQL filtering.
The reports section of PC-Duo is easy to use and based on a comprehensive set of pre-configured reports. Using the Crystal Reports run-time, these reports are attractive, quite fast in their execution, and customizable.
PC-Duo Enterprise additionally features a separately installed HelpDesk module, providing a means of tracking support issues and calls via a straightforward web-based architecture, enabling client web browsers to be used as the interface.
In conclusion, this is a capable product, well-presented, easy-to-use and offering very good value.
SC Webcasts UK
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
Junior Penetration Tester, Hertfordshire, to £35k + benefits
Infosec People - England, Hertfordshire
Cyber Security Architect
CYBER EXECS - London (Greater)
SOC Analyst, Aldershot, £47-56k + package
Infosec People - Hampshire, England, Aldershot
Senior Security Engineer
Loveworklife Recruitment - United Kingdom
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Tesco Bank allegedly ignored warnings of hack from Visa
- Investigatory Powers and Digital Economy Bills could threaten economy
- Updated: A million German routers knocked offline by failed Mirai botnet attack
- Gooligan ad fraud malware infects 1.3M Android users, installs over 2M unwanted apps
- Microsoft update left Azure Linux virtual machines open to hacking
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- Updated: How will Brexit affect the cyber-security industry in UK and Europe?
- ICYMI: CEO Sacked; MS Zero-day; Passwords dropped; Ransomware wild, charging hack
- 9.2 million medical records for sale on darkweb
- ICYMI: Tesco warned; IP Bill threatens economy; German routers offline; Azure trojan; Gooligan fraud
- Data centres are on the move - where will they end up?
- 90% of ITDMs believe IAM is crucial to digital transformation success
- Research: Hacked companies could see customer exodus if breached
- Misconfigured drive exposes locations of explosives used by oil industry