April 07, 2004
Subscription pricing for 500-seat Gateway licenses is approximately $30,000
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
Straightforward concept, functionality.
Printed documentation would be nice.
A proven and capable product set.
The functionality is as expected – generate and manage keys, sign and encrypt email messages (nicely integrated with popular mail clients) and create secure volumes on your hard drive (where you can place files which are encrypted and decrypted on the fly). All this works well and the interfaces are intuitive enough for novices to understand. Comprehensive documentation is supplied in PDF format on the installation disk and it is clearly organized and written. There is even a very good "Introduction to Cryptography" for those who are new to the concept of PKI and encryption.
The desktop products are well conceived and will provide private and small business users with what they need to secure their communications and stored data. The Universal Server is a more interesting product aimed at the enterprise wanting to secure their email in a robust way with minimum fuss.
PGP describes it as creating and maintaining a "self-managing security architecture" (SMSA) by monitoring authenticated users and email traffic. The Universal Server sits between the users and the email server, encrypting messages as they arrive. If the satellite code (or equivalent functionality) is configured on the client machines, then this encryption can take place from point to point for more security.
There can be multiple Universal Servers, easily configured via a web-based administrative interface, which might work in internal (between internal users and the mail server) or external (between the mail server and the internet) modes. PGP provides several example configurations within the supplied PDF documentation.
SC Webcasts UK
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
Technical Information Security Consultant
Adeptis - Kent
Senior Security Analyst
Adeptis - Kent
Business Development Manager (IT Security Services)
Adeptis - Reading, Berkshire
Senior Network Security Engineer, London, £68-85k + package
Infosec People - England, London
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Gooligan ad fraud malware infects 1.3M Android users, installs over 2M unwanted apps
- Met Police grab suspect with phone unlocked to get hold of data
- Cyber-security must reflect risk not just regulation
- Report: Mirai 'is just the tip of the iceberg'
- Data centres are on the move - where will they end up?
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- Updated: How will Brexit affect the cyber-security industry in UK and Europe?
- 9.2 million medical records for sale on darkweb
- Microsoft Office 365 hit with massive Cerber ransomware attack, report
- 400% increase in POS malware variants across US Thanksgiving weekend
- Only 25% of businesses can effectively detect and respond to data breaches
- Is BYOD your company's norm? Beware the ghosts of data past this Christmas
- Over 400,000 phishing sites have been detected each month in 2016
- TalkTalk customers urged to get routers swapped over hacker fears