Promisec Endpoint Manager
June 03, 2013
From £9.22 per endpoint for a one-year subscription (up to 1,000 endpoints)
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: Full-scale endpoint and policy management tool
- Weaknesses: Expensive with little vendor technical support
- Verdict: This is a very good product, impeded by support limitations
Promisec Endpoint Manager is a full-scale policy and endpoint management platform that allows administrators to inspect, monitor and enforce configuration and compliance policy across the entire IT environment from one easy-to-manage console. Administrators can define a policy for Microsoft Windows, Linux, Unix, Mac and Android devices on the network, and ensure that compliance to the security policy is adhered to.
We found this product to be a simple install as it did not take us long to get it up and running. The first thing we had to do was install the Endpoint Manager server on a Windows Server machine. The installation of the server management console was quick, guided by a short setup wizard that was easy to follow. We were then able to access the intuitive management console to begin configuring the product and our policy. Our overall experience with the management console was good, and we felt comfortable navigating around and configuring policy right after our first login.
One of the main features that we found to be most important was the granularity of the configurable settings for the policies. From a single console, we were able to define various hardware and software policies and assign them to various areas of the environment - all based on a simple network scan and discovery. Once we found the systems in the network, we were able to easily apply a policy and scan the system for compliance to the policy. If the system did not meet our policy, we were given remediation options to bring the system into compliance. As an added benefit, we were able to get a full inventory of our systems - both at the hardware and software level - which helps to manage systems and licensing requirements.
Documentation provided includes an installation guide that provides an excellent amount of detail and installation steps to get the product up and running with an initial configuration, as well as some brief feature introductions. A user guide contains much more detail on advanced configuration of features and policies. All documentation includes many clear step-by-step instructions, configuration examples and screenshots.
Promisec offers no-cost, eight-hours-a day/five days a week phone- and email-based technical support to all customers. Unfortunately, that is the extent of the assistance offered - there is no 24/7 option available. Also missing from its support portfolio is an online aid area. We find online support to be invaluable when technical support is not available and an administrator is trying to solve a problem. We hope to see more options available from Promisec in the future.
Promisec Endpoint Manager starts at £9.22 per endpoint up to 1,000 endpoints, based on a yearly subscription. While this product does provide a lot of features and functionality, we find it to be average value for money based on overall cost of ownership.
SC Webcasts UK
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
Information Security Risk Manager, £45-55k + bens
Infosec People - West Midlands, England, Coventry
SOC Analyst, Aldershot, £55-63k + benefits
Infosec People - England, Aldershot, Hampshire
Security Architect, Cardiff - to £70k Basic
Infosec People - Cardiff, Wales
Interim CISO (Chief Information Security Officer) - Cyber Security Director
CYBER EXECS - London (Central), London (Greater)
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Gooligan ad fraud malware infects 1.3M Android users, installs over 2M unwanted apps
- Met Police grab suspect with phone unlocked to get hold of data
- Cyber-security must reflect risk not just regulation
- Data centres are on the move - where will they end up?
- Same fate befalls Post Office broadband as hit DT?
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- Updated: How will Brexit affect the cyber-security industry in UK and Europe?
- 9.2 million medical records for sale on darkweb
- Microsoft Office 365 hit with massive Cerber ransomware attack, report
- Over 400,000 phishing sites have been detected each month in 2016
- TalkTalk customers urged to get routers swapped over hacker fears
- Report: Mirai 'is just the tip of the iceberg'
- Avalanche takedown involved searches in 40 countries
- India Supreme Court calls on tech giants to curb sexual assault, cyber-crime