ProSafe SRX5308 v3.0.7-5
November 01, 2010
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: Easy to use device. Great price point
- Weaknesses: Since it is not a purpose-built IPsec product, running multiple security options and several tunnels can affect overall performance
- Verdict: Great bang for the buck. Easy to deploy VPNs and decent tools to visualise the performance. Recommended
ProSafe SRX5308 is a quad WAN gigabit SSL VPN firewall that connects your local area network to the internet through up to four external broadband/WAN ports. This allows you to increase effective data rate to the internet by utilising all WAN ports to carry session traffic or to maintain backup connections in case of failure of your primary internet connection. It works as the firewall/router in a typical network.
The solution supports up to 125 simultaneous IPsec VPN tunnels (site-to-site and client-to-site). It also works with a vast majority of other network devices and the IPsec VPN portion works with many non-Netgear hardware devices and software clients.
The SRX5308 is a plug-and-play device that can easily be installed and configured. We had the device up and running in our lab in less than ten minutes. We utilised/installed the Netgear ProSafe VPN client on our lab test stations.
Authentication is integrated with Active Directory, LDAP and Radius, as well as supported via a local user database. Encryption support is available for DES, 3DES and AES (128, 192, 256-bit) and SHA-1 and MD5 hashing is also supported. Creating gateway or client policies was made easy through the supplied VPN wizard and policy editor.
There are numerous additional features available but we focused specifically on the IPsec VPN capabilities.
The Netgear solution has enterprise capabilities and supports high availability features, including WAN port auto roll-over and load balancing. Certificate downloads are supported from trusted CA authorities and self-signed certificates can be created using the certificate screen. We had no problem working with the user interface and found it to be very user friendly.
Basic support is provided during the 90-day warranty period and additional support options are available for a fee. Although a comprehensive reporting option is not provided, there is a VPN connection status monitor available, giving you the real-time information for each connection. A built-in logging screen is included for monitoring the running log details.
This product will make it easy for any business to create secure connections to employees or partner networks.
SC Webcasts UK
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
Security Architect, Cardiff - to £70k Basic
Infosec People - Cardiff, Wales
Interim CISO (Chief Information Security Officer) - Cyber Security Director
CYBER EXECS - London (Central), London (Greater)
Junior Penetration Tester, Hertfordshire, to £35k + benefits
Infosec People - England, Hertfordshire
Cyber Security Architect
CYBER EXECS - London (Greater)
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Tesco Bank allegedly ignored warnings of hack from Visa
- Investigatory Powers and Digital Economy Bills could threaten economy
- Updated: A million German routers knocked offline by failed Mirai botnet attack
- Gooligan ad fraud malware infects 1.3M Android users, installs over 2M unwanted apps
- Microsoft update left Azure Linux virtual machines open to hacking
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- Updated: How will Brexit affect the cyber-security industry in UK and Europe?
- 9.2 million medical records for sale on darkweb
- Microsoft Office 365 hit with massive Cerber ransomware attack, report