Kentucky-based CISO says security industry and UK government are failing SMEs in the UK.
"There's a lot of great talk, but most companies (SMEs) do nothing (about cyber-security). It's shocking. And the flow down from big companies, passing best practice down the supply chain, is not working," says Dr Emma Philpott
The UK government today launched a new set of initiatives designed to improve SME information security, public and private sector cooperation and to encourage more people to join the industry.
SMEs need to be aware of the risks faced, whilst implementing quick and easy protective measures that will make them more secure than the average victim says Chema Alonso
A revew by the government of its three-year-old Cyber Security Strategy suggests that new funding, more security training and a stronger focus on SMEs is to come in 2015.
Cyber-attacks pose a serious threat to smaller organisations, especially NGOs, according to a new report from Munk School of Global Affairs.
Business secretary Vince Cable has launched a new £4 million government competition to help the UK's small cyber security businesses find new ways to combat the cyber threat.
SC Webcasts UK
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
Junior Penetration Tester, Hertfordshire, to £35k + benefits
Infosec People - England, Hertfordshire
Cyber Security Architect
CYBER EXECS - London (Greater)
SOC Analyst, Aldershot, £47-56k + package
Infosec People - Hampshire, England, Aldershot
Senior Security Engineer
Loveworklife Recruitment - United Kingdom
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Tesco Bank allegedly ignored warnings of hack from Visa
- Investigatory Powers and Digital Economy Bills could threaten economy
- Updated: A million German routers knocked offline by failed Mirai botnet attack
- Gooligan ad fraud malware infects 1.3M Android users, installs over 2M unwanted apps
- Microsoft update left Azure Linux virtual machines open to hacking
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- Updated: How will Brexit affect the cyber-security industry in UK and Europe?
- ICYMI: CEO Sacked; MS Zero-day; Passwords dropped; Ransomware wild, charging hack
- 9.2 million medical records for sale on darkweb
- ICYMI: Tesco warned; IP Bill threatens economy; German routers offline; Azure trojan; Gooligan fraud
- Data centres are on the move - where will they end up?
- 90% of ITDMs believe IAM is crucial to digital transformation success
- Research: Hacked companies could see customer exodus if breached
- Misconfigured drive exposes locations of explosives used by oil industry