Sophos Complete Security Suite
August 23, 2013
Basic price starts at £31.75 per user (200 users for one year)
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: Sophos Agent performing multiple duties reducing resource draw
- Weaknesses: Overall cost was difficult to determine
- Verdict: Good product that balances features and performance
Sophos Complete Security Suite provides a good set of endpoint protection tools, including: an enterprise console; device control (including Windows, Linux, Unix, Mac and mobile units); web filtering; application control; data control; network access control; client firewall; encryption; anti-virus; and Sophos patch assessment.
A single anti-malware agent detects, blocks or removes malware, adware, suspicious files and web-borne threats and prevents users from accessing malicious websites.
The built-in host-intrusion prevention system (HIPS) detects and blocks suspicious files and behaviours. Administrators can set policies for control of applications, devices, web (site category filtering) and data (DLP) from the Sophos Enterprise Console. These endpoint controls leverage the same endpoint agent for enforcement, so there is no need for an additional agent, which reduces deployment time and simplifies management. The endpoint agent is lightweight and the small scanning footprint does not negatively impact network bandwidth, nor does it consume local resources.
Sophos Endpoint AV provides frequent and automatic updates to ensure that systems are always current with the latest anti-malware definition.
From the beginning, our installation process was easy. We had our system up and running in under an hour. Sophos provided a good set of PDF documentation that included a number of guides for quick-start, advanced start-up, auditing user, Linux-Unix start-up, policy setup, endpoint client help, and more.
The product was delivered on a USB stick and the system requirements allowed a number of options. In the SC lab, the systems used included Windows Server 2008 R2 x86 and SQL 2008.
The step-by-step checklist for installing and configuring the system was refreshing. For example, the installation start-up guide tells the installer to run the Enterprise Console installer to check if the server meets the requirements for its installation, even if the user does not want to proceed with the installation immediately. Users can view the results of the system check on the system property checks page of the installation wizard. After reviewing the results, users then click cancel to close the wizard. More information about the system check results can be accessed by clicking a URL that provides further guidance.
Sophos offers a basic, no-cost support service along with two enhanced offerings: premium and platinum. All aid is available 24/7/365 and includes unlimited help calls, software downloads, updates and maintenance. Contact methods include email and website support channels. Additionally, all customers get access to a knowledgebase, FAQs, support forum, news subscription and basic incident handling.
Higher levels of assistance are available for an additional fee based on licence cost. Platinum and premium support includes: remote technical consulting/training; priority incident and malware sample handling; VIP access to a dedicated senior technical resource team; ZombieAlert Service (notifies organisations of spam originating from their network); WebAlert (notifies clients when a website has been compromised by hackers); and remote assistance. A platinum service offers a named technical support account manager and proactive communications and alerts.
We found the value for money is good.
SC Webcasts UK
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
Information Security Risk Manager, £45-55k + bens
Infosec People - West Midlands, England, Coventry
SOC Analyst, Aldershot, £55-63k + benefits
Infosec People - England, Aldershot, Hampshire
Security Architect, Cardiff - to £70k Basic
Infosec People - Cardiff, Wales
Interim CISO (Chief Information Security Officer) - Cyber Security Director
CYBER EXECS - London (Central), London (Greater)
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Gooligan ad fraud malware infects 1.3M Android users, installs over 2M unwanted apps
- Met Police grab suspect with phone unlocked to get hold of data
- Cyber-security must reflect risk not just regulation
- Data centres are on the move - where will they end up?
- Same fate befalls Post Office broadband as hit DT?
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- Updated: How will Brexit affect the cyber-security industry in UK and Europe?
- 9.2 million medical records for sale on darkweb
- Microsoft Office 365 hit with massive Cerber ransomware attack, report
- Former Expedia IT employee admits to hacking execs from the inside
- Cyber-insurance: What will you be able to claim for and is it worth it?
- Levelling the playing field against targeted attacks
- India Supreme Court calls on tech giants to curb sexual assault, cyber-crime
- IoTSF conference: EU should become de facto regulator