September 01, 2008
From £30.80 - £52.50 (volume discounts available)
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: A good network protection suite, decent performance and ease of use
- Weaknesses: Lockdown of external laptop ports would provide extra security
- Verdict: A very scalable solution which provides well above average network protection
StormShield Security Suite offers integrated system and data protection in a single product - integrating the following security services: device control, data encryption, application control, host-based intrusion prevention (HIPS), anti-malware, system firewall, wireless security and network access control.
While the signature-based technology supplements protection information, StormShield uses behavioural-based protection, providing zero-day attack protection without the need for constant signature or rule updates. It uses only a few megabytes of memory with all services installed and running.
StormShield uses a multi-tiered architecture, which consists of a deployment server, a management console and an agent. The offering only works with Windows 2000 SP4 and newer Microsoft operating systems. Multiple agents can be managed via SSL by the StormShield server in a many:1 ratio. Thousands of agents can be managed by one StormShield server, with 5,000:1 set as the preferred ratio, according to the documentation.
The installation of the product was straightforward and required no need for the documentation. Software for both the MSDE and .Net were already installed. No special hardware was necessary and the system ran fine on a Windows 2003 Server.
The only documentation that was included with the software was a quick install guide.
SkyRecon offers both eight hours a day, five days a week and 24/7 support. Standard help is included in the StormShield maintenance pricing at a rate of 18 per cent.
Support levels one and two are delivered to the end-user through the solution provider. Level three is provided by SkyRecon to the solution provider and then delivered to the end-user. Duration of the support is determined by the terms of the product licence purchased.
StormShield has a price range of £30.80 to £52.50, depending on the number of security modules enabled. This puts the StormShield offering in the very upper price range for devices tested.
SC Webcasts UK
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
Junior Penetration Tester, Hertfordshire, to £35k + benefits
Infosec People - England, Hertfordshire
Cyber Security Architect
CYBER EXECS - London (Greater)
SOC Analyst, Aldershot, £47-56k + package
Infosec People - Hampshire, England, Aldershot
Senior Security Engineer
Loveworklife Recruitment - United Kingdom
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Tesco Bank allegedly ignored warnings of hack from Visa
- Investigatory Powers and Digital Economy Bills could threaten economy
- Updated: A million German routers knocked offline by failed Mirai botnet attack
- Gooligan ad fraud malware infects 1.3M Android users, installs over 2M unwanted apps
- Microsoft update left Azure Linux virtual machines open to hacking
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- Updated: How will Brexit affect the cyber-security industry in UK and Europe?
- ICYMI: CEO Sacked; MS Zero-day; Passwords dropped; Ransomware wild, charging hack
- 9.2 million medical records for sale on darkweb
- ICYMI: Tesco warned; IP Bill threatens economy; German routers offline; Azure trojan; Gooligan fraud
- Data centres are on the move - where will they end up?
- 90% of ITDMs believe IAM is crucial to digital transformation success
- Research: Hacked companies could see customer exodus if breached
- Misconfigured drive exposes locations of explosives used by oil industry