Iran's Supreme National Cyber-space Council is investigating whether a recent string of oil and petrochemical fires were caused by a cyber-attack.
A new report by Bitdefender has, at least partially, undressed the infamous group APT28 claiming that it's a Russian speaking group with a particular interest in government officials, defence companies and Ukraine.
A leak of a major technology company's security key has been discovered, allowing hackers to convince Windows that their malware is legit.
Industrial environments are becoming increasingly automated and interconnected, with control systems often networked over the Internet. This growing computerisation exposes industrial control systems to a number of threats - with potentially disastrous consequences, says Florian Malecki.
Despite original attackers losing control of Stuxnet malware, it still poses a problem for organisations
Couldn't deploy cyber weapons against Pyongyang
In its latest 'Patch Tuesday' notice, Microsoft issued 14 security bulletins including fixes for the Freak flaw and the Stuxnet worm - which was thought to have been patched five years ago.
A German federal agency has detailed in a new report how an Advanced Persistent Threat (APT) attack physically damaged an unnamed iron plant in the country.
Symantec has discovered a new piece of customisable malware - reminiscent of the Stuxnet worm - which has been stealing data from governments, telcos, energy companies and SMEs since 2008. And experts say the threat actor could be the US or UK government.
Stuxnet was targeted 'inside-out' not 'outside-in' infiltration of air-gapped system says new book.
The Stuxnet worm is still threatening IT systems some three years after its role in damaging Iranian nuclear equipment.
SCADA systems are essential to the smooth running of critical infrastructure but, as evidenced by the Stuxnet attack, they can be exploited through software and hardware vulnerabilities, and human error. But experts contest if they are really under threat.
Researchers in Israel say that it is possible to use a mobile phone loaded with malware to pilfer data stored on air-gapped computers.
"The AV industry has evolved beyond static signature technology" says NSS Labs.
New Wi-Fi malware has the potential to cause serious problems if it falls into the wrong hands, according to Professor John Walker, Nottingham-Trent University.
Leading security consultant says DDoS attacks remediation more complex than many would observe.
Energy giant Chevron has become the first US company to confirm a network hit by the Stuxnet virus.
SC Webcasts UK
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
Junior Penetration Tester, Hertfordshire, to £35k + benefits
Infosec People - England, Hertfordshire
Cyber Security Architect
CYBER EXECS - London (Greater)
SOC Analyst, Aldershot, £47-56k + package
Infosec People - Hampshire, England, Aldershot
Senior Security Engineer
Loveworklife Recruitment - United Kingdom
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Tesco Bank allegedly ignored warnings of hack from Visa
- Investigatory Powers and Digital Economy Bills could threaten economy
- Updated: A million German routers knocked offline by failed Mirai botnet attack
- Microsoft update left Azure Linux virtual machines open to hacking
- Gooligan ad fraud malware infects 1.3M Android users, installs over 2M unwanted apps
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- Updated: How will Brexit affect the cyber-security industry in UK and Europe?
- ICYMI: CEO Sacked; MS Zero-day; Passwords dropped; Ransomware wild, charging hack
- 9.2 million medical records for sale on darkweb
- ICYMI: Tesco warned; IP Bill threatens economy; German routers offline; Azure trojan; Gooligan fraud
- Data centres are on the move - where will they end up?
- 90% of ITDMs believe IAM is crucial to digital transformation success
- Research: Hacked companies could see customer exodus if breached
- Misconfigured drive exposes locations of explosives used by oil industry