Superstack 3 Firewall
June 05, 2004
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
The device is easy to set up and simple to administer.
No more than 100 rules can be set up.
This is an effective firewall that can be enhanced by the optional Web Site Filter.
Setup is performed using a wizard that starts the first time you access the device. This handles the basic set up – setting time zones, detecting WAN connections, configuring IP addresses for gateways and NAT, and enabling DHCP. The management interface is simple, but effective, with all functions accessible from tabbed pages. Content filtering is part of the optional SuperStack 3 Web Site Filter, but the unit offers some built-in facilities like keyword blocking on URLs and lists of trusted and forbidden domains. This is useful and might be sufficient, and offers flexibility over the "all or nothing" approach. If there is a strong requirement for strict control over web access, the optional package offers a more comprehensive control environment.
In its default state after setup, the firewall will protect against denial-of-service attacks. The system offers a number of logging options, many enabled by default (like system errors, system maintenance and attack attempts). A number of log events will also generate email alert messages.
Performance data such as bandwidth usage can be reported. Firewall rules are applied from the most specific to the most general, which means it is possible to have rules that override the defaults.
We enabled stealth mode for our port scanning test, which did not reveal any open ports, but the device did not log or report the scanning process.
SC Webcasts UK
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
Information Security Risk Manager, £45-55k + bens
Infosec People - West Midlands, England, Coventry
SOC Analyst, Aldershot, £55-63k + benefits
Infosec People - England, Aldershot, Hampshire
Security Architect, Cardiff - to £70k Basic
Infosec People - Cardiff, Wales
Interim CISO (Chief Information Security Officer) - Cyber Security Director
CYBER EXECS - London (Central), London (Greater)
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Tesco Bank allegedly ignored warnings of hack from Visa
- Updated: A million German routers knocked offline by failed Mirai botnet attack
- Gooligan ad fraud malware infects 1.3M Android users, installs over 2M unwanted apps
- Met Police grab suspect with phone unlocked to get hold of data
- Cyber-security must reflect risk not just regulation
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- Updated: How will Brexit affect the cyber-security industry in UK and Europe?
- 9.2 million medical records for sale on darkweb
- Microsoft Office 365 hit with massive Cerber ransomware attack, report