Swivel Secure Swivel Appliance
May 01, 2015
£2,035.59 for virtual appliance (prices go up for hardware appliances).
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: The Swivel appliance can be seamlessly integrated into an infrastructure with little to no downtime.
- Weaknesses: Steep price.
- Verdict: The easy-to-use management console allows for seamless integration of authentication for new users with few steps.
The Swivel Appliance is a competitive solution for two-factor authentication methods for clients searching for a secure product. The product uses a variety of authentication methods from its own patented OTC extraction protocol, called PINsafe, to PINs via OATH tokens, and one-time as well as password-based. The product is also capable of providing a user with authentication using the PINsafe protocol over SMS, a mobile app, telephony or in-browser imagery. Swivel is easily implemented and can integrate into an IT infrastructure with minimal downtime. This solution also provides users with the satisfaction of knowing that their authentication methods are reliable, safe and secure.
It was easily set up. We were given the links to download a virtual appliance, downloaded it and began setup almost immediately. Also provided was a converter application, which converts the Windows-based physical machine into a VMware virtual machine image. This tool was extremely useful because it made integration into VMware much easier. The virtual appliance is managed through Webmin, a web-based management console. Webmin allowed for the initial configuration into our network to be extremely simple and the GUI was clean. The setup, configuration and integration process is easily followed through provided documentation and offers ease of mind during this process.
With its streamlined setup process, the appliance can be easily integrated into one's current IT infrastructure. When authentication occurs, seeing as the OTC code is not generated by the server, it makes interception by an unauthorised user nearly impossible. This can provide a great sense of security when integrating Swivel into a network or with the many types of devices supported. The product comes packed with compatibility to leading SSL VPN technologies, such as Juniper, F5, Sonic Wall, Citrix, Palo Alto, Cisco and more. Swivel also supports a wide variety of remote access and web platforms, such as Microsoft Sharepoint, Exchange, OWA and IIS via an ISAPI filter, as well as a wide range of cloud services, such as Microsoft Office 365, Huddle, Google Apps and Salesforce.com. The full list of integration supported can easily be found on the website or from documentation. Swivel's mobile application is available for Apple iPhone, Google Android, RIM BlackBerry and Windows Mobile.
The documentation is straightforward and easy to understand. The virtual appliance comes with a link to Swivel's knowledge base support forum that houses almost all of the company's product manuals. While the documentation is easily followed, it would be useful to have a formal offline user and administrator guide in case internet connectivity is not readily available. A useful feature is the help guide provided with the Webmin user interface, which allows users to query for problems and find solutions.
The Swivel Secure Swivel Appliance provides clients with both no-cost and fee-based support options. The basic no-cost support provides licensed users with unlimited online knowledge base access for any of the clients' support questions, as well as a FAQ. For the fee-based option, Swivel Secure provides standard eight-hours-a-day/five-days-a-week support for the cost of 18 percent of the license cost. Support is provided at different levels with different customisation capabilities based on need. The Gold Support option is 25 percent of the list price and a 24/7/365 option is offered as Platinum support for 40 percent of the list price. Both of these options provide clients with phone and email aid along with a plethora of other assistance.
Overall, the Swivel Secure Swivel Appliance is a great product - but for a steep price. The easy-to-install functionality of this program is a great plus; however, the product is tailored toward those with extra money seeking an absolute top-of-the line product. The appliance provides exactly that and offers its clients a simple and intuitive management console to easily customise authentication methods for its users. For those who want a permanent solution to authentication security and have the extra cash, the Swivel Secure Swivel Appliance is definitely your product.
SC Webcasts UK
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
Junior Penetration Tester, Hertfordshire, to £35k + benefits
Infosec People - England, Hertfordshire
Cyber Security Architect
CYBER EXECS - London (Greater)
SOC Analyst, Aldershot, £47-56k + package
Infosec People - Hampshire, England, Aldershot
Senior Security Engineer
Loveworklife Recruitment - United Kingdom
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Tesco Bank allegedly ignored warnings of hack from Visa
- Investigatory Powers and Digital Economy Bills could threaten economy
- Updated: A million German routers knocked offline by failed Mirai botnet attack
- Microsoft update left Azure Linux virtual machines open to hacking
- Gooligan ad fraud malware infects 1.3M Android users, installs over 2M unwanted apps
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- Updated: How will Brexit affect the cyber-security industry in UK and Europe?
- ICYMI: CEO Sacked; MS Zero-day; Passwords dropped; Ransomware wild, charging hack
- 9.2 million medical records for sale on darkweb
- ICYMI: Tesco warned; IP Bill threatens economy; German routers offline; Azure trojan; Gooligan fraud
- Data centres are on the move - where will they end up?
- 90% of ITDMs believe IAM is crucial to digital transformation success
- Research: Hacked companies could see customer exodus if breached
- Misconfigured drive exposes locations of explosives used by oil industry