ThreatTrack Security VIPRE Business Premium v6.5
August 04, 2014
£11.67 per computer for five computers, scaling to $12.30 per computer for 250-499 computers.
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: Easy to deploy and gather assets into the system; agent support.
- Weaknesses: Correlation and visualisation of threat data; reporting is light.
- Verdict: A lot of additional protection over basic A/V, yet it deploys just as easily for around the same cost.
VIPRE Business Premium helps enterprises manage and control endpoint security by combining a small-footprint, anti-virus agent with integrated patch management and mobile device management (MDM) capability. The combination of A/V, MDM and patch management addresses the pressing security challenges facing IT administrators - those being vulnerabilities in third-party software, the proliferation of mobile devices and increasingly sophisticated malware.
With VIPRE Business Premium, IT admins are able to centrally manage anti-virus protection for PCs, Macs and Android devices, as well as mobile security for iPhones, iPads and Android smartphones and tablets. The solution also includes integrated patch management, which automatically finds and applies updates to out-of-date software, as well as a firewall, a malicious website blocker and an anti-phishing filter.
Getting the system up and running was a quick process. Admins have a lot of OSs options available for the admin console and Vipre Site Service deployment. There are four components to the system: the admin console, database, agent and the VSS, which handles the communication between the agents and the console. There is support for most Windows OS environments. The self-contained installer deploys quickly and easily with a built-in database that can support up to 1,500 agents. For larger deployments, it can use either Microsoft SQL or SQL Express. There is a wide array of support for Windows and MAC endpoint agents, and support for Android 2.2 and greater and iOS 5.1.1 and greater. Agents can be manually installed or automated using the admin console and integration with Active Directory.
Some of the key features include real-time threat protection and live threat data incorporated into the VIPRE threat definition updates multiple times per day. The tool also offers advanced threat monitoring through Active Protection, heuristics, signatures and other sophisticated detection methods to monitor and protect against zero-day threats and advanced malware. Email protection defends against malicious email and strips phishing links from emails before they can reach users' inboxes. Website blocking protects networks by stopping traffic to malicious websites and prevents users from inadvertently compromising their PCs. It automatically finds and protects unprotected or infected machines. Removable device scanning auto-scans USB flash drives and other removable media for malware threats when plugged or inserted into PCs. VIPRE Business Premium also offers an add-on component for fully integrated security management for Microsoft Windows Server Hyper-V.
The user interface is easy to use and manoeuvre. There is a configuration wizard that takes admins through the setup process, including registering the software, adding remote credentials for the agent deployments, choosing to automatically remove incompatible software and creating the install package. There are also existing policies that can be used or customised. The policy-based architecture allows the creation of policies based on user or machine attributes. Further, there is reporting for all the various features and a couple dozen template reports give details on the module activities. Email alerting is also available for configured events.
All subscriptions come with free eight-hours-a-day/five-days-a-week tech support by phone, email, chat and forums. 24/7 support is available for an additional fee.
Prices are US-based, thus indicative only.
SC Webcasts UK
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
Information Security Risk Manager, £45-55k + bens
Infosec People - West Midlands, England, Coventry
SOC Analyst, Aldershot, £55-63k + benefits
Infosec People - England, Aldershot, Hampshire
Security Architect, Cardiff - to £70k Basic
Infosec People - Cardiff, Wales
Interim CISO (Chief Information Security Officer) - Cyber Security Director
CYBER EXECS - London (Central), London (Greater)
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Gooligan ad fraud malware infects 1.3M Android users, installs over 2M unwanted apps
- Met Police grab suspect with phone unlocked to get hold of data
- Cyber-security must reflect risk not just regulation
- Data centres are on the move - where will they end up?
- The information security implications of M&A deals
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- Updated: How will Brexit affect the cyber-security industry in UK and Europe?
- 9.2 million medical records for sale on darkweb
- Microsoft Office 365 hit with massive Cerber ransomware attack, report
- Over 400,000 phishing sites have been detected each month in 2016
- TalkTalk customers urged to get routers swapped over hacker fears
- Report: Mirai 'is just the tip of the iceberg'
- Avalanche takedown involved searches in 40 countries
- India Supreme Court calls on tech giants to curb sexual assault, cyber-crime