TippingPoint Unity One-200
June 28, 2004
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
Ease of use and configuration, excellent documentation, and hardware features that provide high availability through redundancy as well as higher security through absence of removable media drives.
GUI is only moderately intuitive and context-sensitive help and step-by-step configuration procedures are not provided. In some places the documentation does not provide added information it just echoes the screen display.
One of the best IPS products we have tested.
The TippingPoint product is a slick, well-packaged appliance with a small configuration screen on the front panel. However, we recommend that the operator connect a laptop or other PC to the serial port on the device and access the IPS using HyperTerm as would be expected when configuring many types of routers and switches.
During configuration we tried to compromise the underlying operating system by breaking out of the command prompt. We were unable to do so. Unlike other devices we tested that allowed us to compromise the underlying operating environment by bypassing embedded security, the Unity One resisted all of our attempts to compromise it internally.
When we contacted technical support we found the support engineers to be knowledgeable and helpful. This, along with first-rate documentation, made the device easy to set up and configure.
This product was the only one we tested that came with a quick-start card. This allowed us to unpack the device, read the card and configure the IPS in under 30 minutes. Actual configuration, surprisingly, took only five minutes.
The Unity One was neither the most nor least expensive product we tested. Pricing, which includes the entire appliance, therefore, is attractive and makes the product a good value.
SC Webcasts UK
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
Security Architect, Cardiff - to £70k Basic
Infosec People - Cardiff, Wales
Interim CISO (Chief Information Security Officer) - Cyber Security Director
CYBER EXECS - London (Central), London (Greater)
Junior Penetration Tester, Hertfordshire, to £35k + benefits
Infosec People - England, Hertfordshire
Cyber Security Architect
CYBER EXECS - London (Greater)
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Tesco Bank allegedly ignored warnings of hack from Visa
- Investigatory Powers and Digital Economy Bills could threaten economy
- Updated: A million German routers knocked offline by failed Mirai botnet attack
- Gooligan ad fraud malware infects 1.3M Android users, installs over 2M unwanted apps
- Microsoft update left Azure Linux virtual machines open to hacking
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- Updated: How will Brexit affect the cyber-security industry in UK and Europe?
- 9.2 million medical records for sale on darkweb
- Microsoft Office 365 hit with massive Cerber ransomware attack, report