Trend Micro Enterprise Security for Gateways
May 03, 2010
£23.12 per user for up to 1,000 users
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: Solid gateway malware protection that can be fully integrated into existing infrastructure
- Weaknesses: Quite expensive
- Verdict: If you can afford it, this one is packed with traditional Trend Micro quality and experience
Trend Micro Enterprise Security for Gateways is driven by the InterScan Web Security Virtual Appliance. This can be installed on both a bare metal system or inside a VMware virtual machine.
The appliance itself features protection against malware, spam and other malicious content at the gateway to keep it from penetrating into the network environment.
The installation and setup of the appliance is quite straightforward and does not take long at all. We installed using a bare metal server and found the installation of the system itself to be simple.
After this is complete all administration is done via the web-based interface. The appliance does not have very much in the way of pre-configuration and post installation configuration is all done manually without the help of setup wizards. However we did find the web interface to be easy to navigate and were able to configure it with very little trouble at all.
Flexibility is the key word for this appliance. It can plug into a multitude of existing infrastructure including Active Directory, LDAP, Cisco routers and ICAP servers. Policies can be easily created to be as granular as needed. The InterScan Web Security Virtual Appliance can perform URL filtering, HTTP scanning, FTP scanning, access quotas and web access control.
Documentation provided included an installation guide and an administrator's guide. The installation guide provides detailed instructions on planning, pre-deployment, integration and installing the software. The administrator's guide picks up from there and provides in-depth configuration of features and policies. Both guides include many screenshots, diagrams and step-by-step instructions.
Trend Micro provides both phone and email technical support as part of a maintenance contract, however additional 24/7 support may be purchased for an additional fee.* The website also features a free support area that includes a knowledgebase and documentation downloads.
At a price of about £23 per user up to 1,000 users, this product can be pricey given that purchase of additional hardware may be necessary, so we find it to be average value for money.
*In the US. Contact regional offices for local support details.
SC Webcasts UK
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
Junior Penetration Tester, Hertfordshire, to £35k + benefits
Infosec People - England, Hertfordshire
Cyber Security Architect
CYBER EXECS - London (Greater)
SOC Analyst, Aldershot, £47-56k + package
Infosec People - Hampshire, England, Aldershot
Senior Security Engineer
Loveworklife Recruitment - United Kingdom
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Tesco Bank allegedly ignored warnings of hack from Visa
- Investigatory Powers and Digital Economy Bills could threaten economy
- Updated: A million German routers knocked offline by failed Mirai botnet attack
- Gooligan ad fraud malware infects 1.3M Android users, installs over 2M unwanted apps
- Microsoft update left Azure Linux virtual machines open to hacking
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- Updated: How will Brexit affect the cyber-security industry in UK and Europe?
- ICYMI: CEO Sacked; MS Zero-day; Passwords dropped; Ransomware wild, charging hack
- 9.2 million medical records for sale on darkweb
- ICYMI: Tesco warned; IP Bill threatens economy; German routers offline; Azure trojan; Gooligan fraud
- Data centres are on the move - where will they end up?
- 90% of ITDMs believe IAM is crucial to digital transformation success
- Research: Hacked companies could see customer exodus if breached
- Misconfigured drive exposes locations of explosives used by oil industry