Trend Micro LeakProof
November 01, 2008
£25-50 per seat
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: An easy to use, excellent performing product with too many features to be covered in this review
- Weaknesses: The deployment of the client software may require some planning
- Verdict: A very solid product with very well done client-side software, all put together at a great price. Our Best Buy
The Trend Micro offering is an all-in-one appliance that comes with everything preloaded. All the administrator needs to do is configure the device. The initial configuration is done by attaching a power cord, PS/2 keyboard and VGA cable to the device.
The underlying operating system is Linux, but the configuration is completely menu driven and no command line commands are necessary. Once the initial set-up is complete the machine will have an IP address and you can configure the device using http, https or ssh.
In most environments LeakProof is installed with the help of an engineer. The main purpose of the engineer is to assist the company in defining exactly what sensitive information is and what to look out for. There are pre-built templates for policies such as SOX and GLBA, and these rules can be customised or created using a wizard interface.
The client-side software is very well done and runs without an icon in the system tray.
The client can be removed or disabled using anti-rootkit technology, but the administrative console will immediately report the system as offline and notify the system administrator.
One of the biggest challenges to this solution is getting the client out to all of the client machines. The program can be made to an msi file and distributed using SMS on zenworks or any other popular software deployment package.
LeakProof provides many means to protect data, including a critical document feature.
As opposed to appending a digital signature the DLP program uses a grouping of letters in several places in the document to create the fingerprint. This speeds up security processing.
LeakProof can block suspicious activity and warn the user. It can also redirect users to the corporate site on internet usage. Lastly the DLP can provide a window, which allows the user to justify the action being taken.
The documentation was a PDF file broken into easy to find sections. Free support is offered for the first year of the product and additional years and features such as 24/7 support are available for an extra fee.
SC Webcasts UK
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
Junior Penetration Tester, Hertfordshire, to £35k + benefits
Infosec People - England, Hertfordshire
Cyber Security Architect
CYBER EXECS - London (Greater)
SOC Analyst, Aldershot, £47-56k + package
Infosec People - Hampshire, England, Aldershot
Senior Security Engineer
Loveworklife Recruitment - United Kingdom
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Tesco Bank allegedly ignored warnings of hack from Visa
- Investigatory Powers and Digital Economy Bills could threaten economy
- Updated: A million German routers knocked offline by failed Mirai botnet attack
- Gooligan ad fraud malware infects 1.3M Android users, installs over 2M unwanted apps
- Microsoft update left Azure Linux virtual machines open to hacking
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- Updated: How will Brexit affect the cyber-security industry in UK and Europe?
- ICYMI: CEO Sacked; MS Zero-day; Passwords dropped; Ransomware wild, charging hack
- 9.2 million medical records for sale on darkweb
- ICYMI: Tesco warned; IP Bill threatens economy; German routers offline; Azure trojan; Gooligan fraud
- Data centres are on the move - where will they end up?
- 90% of ITDMs believe IAM is crucial to digital transformation success
- Research: Hacked companies could see customer exodus if breached
- Misconfigured drive exposes locations of explosives used by oil industry