U.are.U Pro for Active Directory
February 01, 2004
$149 (both US and UK)
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
Functionality, ease of use.
A mature, two-factor authentication solution.
We've reviewed this product before, (albeit a slightly earlier software revision), but make no apologies for including it as a solid two-factor authentication solution.
U.are.U Pro features biometric fingerprint verification using the proven Digital Persona fingerprint matching algorithms. The fingerprint reader has proven reliability and is compact and easy to use. It connects to the workstation via a USB port and facilitates secure workstation logon, one-touch locking and unlocking of the workstation, and one-touch internet access using a fingerprint or fingerprint and password combination.
Additionally, it has file encryption and decryption.
This supports a high level of security as fingerprints represent a unique identifier that cannot be lost, left at home, or passed to a third party. Quality fingerprint products offer a high level of intuitive usability: just place your finger on the scanner when prompted.
One of the most impressive features of this product, however, is the tight integration with the Microsoft Windows environment. This has been planned with a combination of workstation and server software, allowing for various operational scenarios that include static or roving users. Configuration of the U.are.U Pro Server facilitates centralized administration and credential storage, and integration with the Windows Active Directory via an extended Active Directory schema. Appropriate utilities and instructions are provided. If yours is a Microsoft Windows network environment, this product will easily provide biometric two-factor authentication services.U.are.U Pro comes with a clear manual that explores various deployment scenarios and it advises on requisite knowledge before you start. It has appendices for troubleshooting, fingerprint sensor usage and more. The hardware and software combined with the presentation leaves you feeling that this is a mature, well-considered product from a professional supplier who understands the requirement. We have little choice but to recommend this product. It simply works.
SC Webcasts UK
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
Junior Penetration Tester, Hertfordshire, to £35k + benefits
Infosec People - England, Hertfordshire
Cyber Security Architect
CYBER EXECS - London (Greater)
SOC Analyst, Aldershot, £47-56k + package
Infosec People - Hampshire, England, Aldershot
Senior Security Engineer
Loveworklife Recruitment - United Kingdom
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Tesco Bank allegedly ignored warnings of hack from Visa
- Investigatory Powers and Digital Economy Bills could threaten economy
- Updated: A million German routers knocked offline by failed Mirai botnet attack
- Gooligan ad fraud malware infects 1.3M Android users, installs over 2M unwanted apps
- Microsoft update left Azure Linux virtual machines open to hacking
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- Updated: How will Brexit affect the cyber-security industry in UK and Europe?
- ICYMI: CEO Sacked; MS Zero-day; Passwords dropped; Ransomware wild, charging hack
- 9.2 million medical records for sale on darkweb
- ICYMI: Tesco warned; IP Bill threatens economy; German routers offline; Azure trojan; Gooligan fraud
- Data centres are on the move - where will they end up?
- 90% of ITDMs believe IAM is crucial to digital transformation success
- Research: Hacked companies could see customer exodus if breached
- Misconfigured drive exposes locations of explosives used by oil industry