Workshare Protect Enterprise
November 01, 2006
From £18 per user per year
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: Offers highly concentrated data protection with a lot of customisable features and policies
- Weaknesses: Can be difficult to deploy and may be pricey for very large installations
- Verdict: This product is awarded our Best Buy in the extrusion prevention application category for its ease of use, richness of features, excellent documentation and support
Workshare Protect Enterprise Suite is a big program for big organisations. It is a true large-scale extrusion prevention application. Successful deployment of this client/server application requires configuration of Microsoft Server 2003 and Microsoft SQL Server, as well as detailed knowledge of these platforms. However, once installed, it is easy to use and can be customised for many different conditions and controls.
The Workshare product contains a policy manager that can act as an information gateway, applying content filtering for more than 370 file types. It includes document rights restrictions, email blocking based upon content, and policy-control of PDF conversions. We were unable to compromise denied documents or find a way to get the system to violate its policy.
Documentation is well organised and includes a step-by-step deployment guide, installation wizard steps and brief instructions on which options should be selected or which fields should be filled in. It's written in clear, understandable language and is full of useful screen shots.
Support is excellent. An online learning centre offers documentation, training manuals, administrator guides, user guides and tutorials. There's also a large knowledge base and support plan options with varying degrees of support available.
At around £18 per user per year, this license can become a fairly expensive proposition for the size of enterprise for which it is intended. However, this was the most complete product we looked at in terms of capabilities, and for a large organization with huge numbers of sensitive documents, trade secrets and proprietary information, this is an extremely powerful product.
We found Workshare Protect Enterprise Suite to be a scalable, easy-to-deploy enterprise-aware application and an appropriate choice for large enterprises with a variety of documents to protect. For its flexibility, richness of features, superb documentation and support, this product is our Best Buy in the extrusion prevention application class.
SC eConference 17 Feb 2015
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Estonia President wants China and Russia to help fight cyber-crime
- Malaysia Airlines website 'hacked by Lizard Squad'
- Why Cameron's encryption plans would take the UK back to the Dark Ages
- Isis supporters take down US county website
- ICYMI: Hacking into cars, Chinese cyber-espionage and Siri's security flaw