An Apple developer website was taken offline over the weekend after it was hacked last week.
In an email sent on Sunday, Apple said that no customer information had been compromised as "sensitive personal information was encrypted and cannot be accessed", but it was unable to rule out the possibility that some developers' names, mailing addresses and email addresses may have been accessed.
It said: “In the spirit of transparency, we want to inform you of the issue. We took the site down immediately on Thursday and have been working around the clock since then.
“In order to prevent a security threat like this from happening again, we're completely overhauling our developer systems, updating our server software, and rebuilding our entire database. We apologise for the significant inconvenience that our downtime has caused you and we expect to have the developer website up again soon.”
For a period, the Apple Store website was apparently down too, but the main concern for developers was that their apps would get pulled from the App Store as they would not be able to login to renew their developer accounts. According to Macworld, Apple eventually clarified that developers facing that specific situation need not worry.
The website allows access to iOS 7 and development kits such as OS X Mavericks, and helps developers allocate apps to beta testers. It also includes popular developer-only forums. Apple initially published a notice saying that the website was taken down for maintenance.