GFI Software is expanding into the web-filtering market after signing a contract with St Bernard Software. As part of the agreement, St Bernard will provide GFI with its web-filtering database, iGuard. Curtis Staker, chairman and chief executive at GFI, said: "Through this alliance, GFI will be providing a best-of-breed security solution."
- SonicWall has agreed to acquire Aventail in a £12.5 million deal. The transaction is expected to close later in the summer.
- UK-based IT security and compliance specialist Nebulas Security has published a Concise Guide to the Payment Card Industry data security standard. The guide gives detailed and technical analysis of the solutions available to help companies comply with the standard. The company's managing director, Nick Garlick, said: "It's a very thorough document and covers every aspect of the payment card industry standard."
- Sophos is to provide General Electric with its security and control solutions, which include centrally managed network access control, AV and firewall protection.
- MessageLabs is to separate from business internet service provider Star Technology. Both companies will operate independently, with Star Technology led by chief executive, Ben White, who will also retain his role as chief strategy officer and vice-chairman of the board at MessageLabs.
- The European Network and Information Security Agency and the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) have launched a new portal for IT security standards across Europe. The ICT Security Standards Roadmap will be available via the ITU website.