There has been a 350 per cent growth in the number of DDoS attacks monitored at over 20Gb/sec so far this year compared to the whole of 2012 according to Arbor Networks' ATLAS system, which provides visibility into Internet traffic patterns and threat evolution.
Key findings include:
- For 2013 an average DDoS attack now stands at 2.64Gb/sec, up 78 per cent from 2012.
- Largest monitored and verified attack size increases significantly to 191Gb/sec.
- 87 per cent of all attacks monitored so far this year last less than one hour.
- 54 per cent of attacks so far this year are over 1Gb/sec, up from 33 per cent in 2012.
- 37 per cent of attacks so far this year are in the 2 – 10 Gb/sec range, up from 15 per cent last year.
- 44 per cent growth in proportion of attacks over 10Gb/sec, to 4 per cent of all attacks.